Screen recording used to require complicated software. Inserting screen captured videos into video tutorials used to be difficult due to the incompatibility of versions on top of a wide variety of reasons.
But not anymore. In this post, we’ll be introducing 10 user-friendly screen recording software packages, and map out how you can seamlessly incorporate your screen captured videos into your video tutorials with minimal effort.
What Is Screen Recording Software About?
Screen recording software are applications/tools that allow you to record your device screen and save the recorded video file in various formats like MOV, MP4, GIF, etc. Certain software also enables you to record audio while screen recording.
Not every screen recording tool allows users to export saved footage onto platforms like YouTube directly.
Why Would You Want To Record Your Screen?
Have you ever watched a tutorial and wondered if there could be a video demonstration of the interface walkthrough?
Screen capture is now a necessity in today’s business world. It helps to supercharge your team collaboration and communicate more effectively and quickly through visuals.
What Should You Look For In A Good Screen Recording Software?
Screen recording software and apps may appear very similar on the surface, but they vary widely when it comes to each software’s recording capabilities, compatibility, price, and support towards sharing your recordings online.
Here are some points to look out for in a good screen recording software:
1. Friendly user interface and easy to operate.
2. Ability to record the entire screen and audio.
3. Availability of video export options.
4. Option to superimpose a webcam feed over the screen capture.
Desktop Screen Recorders VS Online Screen Recorders
The key difference between the two is the offline functionality. Desktop screen recorders are usually apps which do not require an active internet connection to work. Whereas for online screen recorders, a stable internet connection is required.
Depending on what you are using the screen recorder for, both desktop and online screen recorders can do the job equally well.
Top 10 Screen Capture Software Recommendations
Free Screen Recording Tools:
#1. OBS studio
OBS Studio, also known as Open Broadcaster Software, is an open-source screen video recorder that allows users to record and live stream in high definition for free.
- Has an built-in audio mixer with customizable hotkeys.
- Desktop version allows you to choose which part of the screen you would like to capture on top of the entire screen capture option.
- Has no recording limits and supports multiple streaming services.
- Interface may be difficult to navigate.
- Learning curve is steep for users who might not be as tech-savvy.
- Crashes are reported quite often.
#2. Bandicam Free
Bandicam is a widely popular game recording software that allows users to record external video devices such as webcams and game consoles too. While this software may please even the pickiest users, there are no video editing features.
- Record 4K UHD resolution at up to 144 FPS.
- Record full screen, region, webcam, microphone, computer sound.
- Voice mixing, draw, add text, and take screenshots while recording.
- The editing process can be recorded while capturing the screen, making the video unprofessional.
- Limited video output formats: Only MP4 and AVI.
- No built-in video editor.
#3. Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder
The first time you use Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder, you’ll be prompted to download a small launcher application. You’ll then be provided with a control bar packed with more options than you’ll find in most desktop screen recording software.
- No time limits or watermarks
- Lots of export options: MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV, etc.
- Able to record from webcams.
- Lack of editing options
- Requires a plugin to work properly.
- No support for multiple monitors.
#4. Share X
Share X is ad-free and boasts as many custom features as some paid software have. Share X is more targeted towards developers and power users so new users may feel lost amongst the advanced tools and editors it offers.
- Allows users to record full screen window, monitor, scrolling, etc.
- Has hotkeys for easy navigation.
- Allows users to import existing videos, music or photos to add custom watermarks and colour effects.
- Low-definition recording
- Interface may be complicated for new users.
- No webcam recording and video editing features.
Ezvid here claims to be a screen recorder that is the easiest to use in the world. Many have justified that it is not far from the truth! This tool is specifically designed to save users’ time and hence, is favoured by people who frequently make video clips with fast turnovers.
- Automatic high-quality resolution (1280 x 720p HD)
- Simple interface
- Offers computer generated speech for narrative purposes.
- Some users have reported extraneous noise when recording.
- Minor bugs and inconsistencies have been raised.
- Fullscreen game recording is unavailable.
Paid Screen Recording Tools:
#6. Movavi Screen Recorder
Movavi Screen Recorder is a screen capture tool that is relatively easy to use and enables users to save recordings as videos and GIFs and take screenshots. Users can also upload records to Google Drive or YouTube and share recordings via social networks.
- Incorporates webcam and can record screen and audio simultaneously or separately.
- Saves video in HD and supports multiple formats: AVI, MP4, MOV, and MKV.
- Allows scheduled recording.
- Has no video editing features.
- 7-Day Free Trial version limits recording time to 5 minutes. Paid version costs $39.95 for 1 PC.
- Reported to have periodic crash issues.
#7. My Screen Recorder Pro
My Screen Recorder Pro offers tons of features within their screen capture tool and gives users a wider video output variety. This feature packed tool allows users to record anything on the computer screen including the entire desktop, menus, cursors, and video with sound.
- Video output available in AVI, WMV, MP4, and WebM formats
- Allows scheduled recording.
- Can securely monitor the screen in hide mode.
- Has limited editing options.
- No animations and transitions
- Quite expensive as it costs $129.95.
FlashBack is a full-motion-based screen recorder tool with a simple user interface. On top of the ease of navigation, recordings can be edited with their built-in editing tools.
- Users can record multiple monitors and incorporate webcam recording.
- Allows users to add distinctive and custom watermarks.
- Quick upload to Youtube or export as MP4, GIF, WMV, QuickTime, AVI, and Flash.
- Offers zooming and panning options in screen recording.
- Difficult to modify existing demos.
- Allows you to import files only in FBR format.
Offers a free 30-Day Free Trial but thereafter costs $49 for 1 PC.
Snagit is a simple screen and video capture software with features that make it easy to add your tutorials to email, documentation, training materials, blogs or social media.
- Has a built-in editor for users to modify recordings.
- Can turn short recordings into animated GIFs.
- Can toggle between webcam and screen recording during recordings.
- Minimal video editing tools.
- May seem overwhelming with extensive settings for new users.
- Costs $49.95 after the 15-Day Free Trial.
ActivePresenter is an all-in-one screen recorder and video editor well loved by many YouTubers, video producers, educators, and trainers who look for video demos, how-to videos, and step-by-step tutorials.
- No time-limit and is ad-free.
- Offers both basic and advanced video editing features.
- Record full screen, window, region, webcam, microphone, computer sound.
- Not allowed to schedule recordings.
- No video cropping and is only compatible with 64-bit devices only.
- Costs $199 per license for the standard version.
Combining Your Screen Capture Software With A Compatible Help Authoring Software.
Nickelled is a software that allows companies to show users around their applications, increasing user satisfaction to hold onto customers for longer. Here are 3 reasons why you should invest in it:
- Better onboarding experience for new users. Automatically run clear, interactive click-through guides when new users launch your software for the first time.
- Very easy setup. Our setup process is quick and doesn’t require developers.
- Fewer questions from existing users. Reach users with relevant help content at the right moments with Nickelled – when users log in for the first time, reach a certain page, or take another core action inside your product.
- Faster product adoption for new feature launches. Showcase your newest features to the right users on demand! Follow up with customized messaging inside your software or link out to integrated help documents.
Seamlessly incorporate Nickelled’s help authoring into your tutorials to improve user experience today and boost customer retention!
With Nickelled’s help authoring, adapting to the ever-changing needs of customers is no longer a problem! If you are looking for a tutorial software that is completely immersive and can provide insights on how users interact with your product, check out Nickelled today!